For the first time on our show, we're answering questions from our listeners in the Facebook group "Switzerland for English speakers". If you'd like to join in the discussions, network with other English speakers interested in Switzerland and share your experiences, please feel free to join the group and say 'hello'!
This episode is all about Swiss German and high German. What is Swiss German? Do you need to learn it? And if so, where can you learn it and how. We look at the pros and cons compared to learning high German, and hear how it sounds.
Notes on this episode of Swiss and Chips: Your British Guide to Switzerland
- What is Swiss German and what is the difference to high German?
- Can you move to Switzerland without knowing any Swiss German?
- Once in Switzerland, what should you learn and what are the pros and cons of Swiss German vs. high German?
- What is the best way to learn (Swiss) German?
- Migros Klubschule
- Flying teachers
- Alpha Sprachschule
- For cheaper courses, search for further education colleges that also do language courses, such as the Volkshochschule Bern or EB Berufsschule Zürich.
- Podcasts from SRF
- The languager: online Swiss German for beginners
- Audiobooks on audible
- We answer questions from our Facebook Group